When I purchased my boat the seller mentioned he had a sailing dinghy in storage, I got him to throw it in on the deal sight unseen. The boat was stored outside for what look like quite a few years. I took the boat home to evaluate what I was working with.
Almost all the varnish had worn off of the wood. Who ever had previously painted the interior of the hull managed to get paint all over the hardware. The middle seat also had a large split and needed to be replaced.
The first step was to disassemble everything.
After all the hardware was removed it got a long bath in carburetor cleaner to remove the paint and bring back the original color. After an overnight dip the paint is gone and original color is back.
The daggerboard trunk wasn’t in great shape either. I flipped the boat upside down and added additional fiberglass to reinforce the mounting of the wood top cover.
I spent way too many hours sanding and varnishing the wood, I decided on Sikkens Cetol so I didn’t need to sand between each coat. Below is right before the final finish coat.
The interior hull paint was in rough shape so I added a few coats of Interlux Brightside top finish paint.
Finally time for reassembly!!
Floatation foam back in place under the rear seat.
Present wrapped up all nicely from my friends at Banks Sails loft.
Test fitting the sail with some makeshift lines.
Only missing a few parts now, time to get it to the water to give it a test! Next step sea trials!