After a nice day sail on Galveston Bay my friend Dave went to plug in my shore power cord and noticed some major damage. When looking it over it appears a high resistance short occurred between the phase to neutral and melted the terminal on the cord as well as damaging the feeder on the Y-splitter.
I was surprised the breaker on shore didn’t trip but I guess there wasn’t enough current to trip the beaker but plenty to overheat and burn the cord. I’m lucky there wasn’t a fire! I checked all the AC wiring on the boat and saw no damage or signs of overload anywhere. I was using the shore power cords from the previous owner and am guessing they may have fallen in the water and not been rinsed and dried properly. Lesson learned, check the cords often for any signs of burns or overheat! I went ahead and replaced both cords and the Y-splitter to new High Tide cords.
The new cords have proper screw on seal between the splitter which the old ones didn’t. I’ll be following up with a review on them after I have had a chance to try them out for awhile.