When I went to use the stove for the first time on the boat the burner was not getting any gas. Tested the system and had gas but it wasn’t making it past the Solenoid. Made sure it was getting power then ordered a new one.
Top view of the propane locker in the aft of the boat.
Everything all taken apart.
Old corroded solenoid that was broken, only 3 years old according to previous owner.
New replacement solenoid. I used a Trident Marine unit. It was about twice what the original is but it’s all stainless and brass designed for a marine environment.
Use teflon tape on all the NPT connections to get a leak free seal. I found out that their is a special yellow teflon tape for gas connections. Had to redo the piping connections with correct tape.
Take note of the flow direction shown on the Solenoid, it’s designed for only one direction.
Reassembled except for the regulator.
Reconnect the wiring to the solenoid. The polarity doesn’t matter. Used butt connectors with heat shrink over them to get a water proof seal.
Turn on the solenoid and you will hear it click as well as get a little warm, new one was working fine!
With everything back together it was time to test for leaks. Turn on the gas and pressurize the system. Use a soaping rag to go over all connections. If you have a leak you will see little soapy bubbles forming on the spot. The second test is to pressurize the system and close the tank, wait 30 minutes and check to see if there was any pressure drop on the gauge. No leaks for me!
Still no luck with the stove. I disconnected the line and checked to make sure gas was making it to the stove.
Once gas to the stove was confirmed realized I had another problem with the stove. I took the stove apart and cleaned the burners and check for anywhere I may have a problem. I carefully aligned the dials when reassembling which may have been the problem.
Put the stove back together, reinstalled, and it fired right up.